Hi, sweet radicals!
This week, the “Life. Unrestricted.” podcast brings to you the wonderful Sonya Renee Taylor from California. Sonya Renee is the Founder and – as she calls it – Radical Executive Officer of “The Body Is Not An Apology”, an international movement and organization committed to radical self-love and body empowerment as the foundational tool for social justice and global transformation.
Sonya holds a BA in Sociology and a Masters degree in Organizational Management. Her work as an award-winning Performance Poet, Activist and transformational leader continues to have global reach. Sonya is a former National and International poetry slam champion, author, educator and activist who has mesmerized audiences across the world. Believing in the power of art as a vehicle for social change, Sonya has been widely recognized for her work as a change agent and has won heaps of awards and honors, and Bustle Magazine has named her one of the 12 “Women who paved the way for body positivity“. Sonya’s work has been seen and heard on practically EVERY news outlet in America. Sonya is a fierce advocate and activist for intersectional global justice. Listen in as Sonya Renee tells us:
– What sort of messages she heard about women’s bodies when she grew up
– What the most important messages are that made her believe in her abilities and power
– How she experienced privilege and oppression
– Why she believes body-shame and tendencies of self-hate are learned and can be unlearned
– What body-empowerment entails and why it really is about all areas of social justice, be it ableism, racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, weight-discrimination or any other form
– Why weight-stigma is adding a toxic layer that affects those most that are already being discriminated against
– How her great movement called “The Body Is Not An Apology” came about
– Why she feels so grateful for all the contributors for showing her their perspective
– Why “The Body Is Not An Apology” is for everybody
– How her idea of self-love is different than the fuzzy ideas we often hear; why she calls it “radical self-love”
– How her 30-day self-love challenge called RUHCUS helped her overcome her biggest shame
– Why it is that some form of body shame is likely to seep back in and how we can deal with it to maintain body-peace
– Why it is critical to learn about the mechanism of the diet- and beauty-industry to see just how much power we are giving away by buying into the lies we are being told every day
– What would happen when women over night stopped believing those lies and stopped buying all those products
– What radical self-love realistically looks like and why it has a massive impact on the world around us
– Why we can never create a peaceful world unless we make peace within ourselves
– What she does on those days that she finds it hard to love herself
– Why it is important to see that we would only set ourselves up for failure if we want to do this journey towards body love perfectly
– Why she encourages all of us to do “what WE want” and not “what we think others want us to do”
– What she would change immediately were she to rule the world…
… And so much more!
Check out Sonya Renee Taylor here:
and her platform “The Body Is Not An Apology” here:
********* Don’t forget!*********
Podcasting is expensive, more so than I thought. So if you enjoy and love my podcast, please consider supporting it by becoming a “Patreon”!
It would greatly help me to keep those episodes coming to you.
Make sure to join my tribe and meet some of the most supportive, loving and kind people of all shapes and sizes, including great coaches and leaders! We’re right over here at: http://www.lifeunrestricted.org/join/
Please: Do subscribe on iTunes (Apple):
or on Stitcher (Android):