Hey, lovely radicals… it’s podcast time!
Today on the “Life. Unrestricted.” podcast, you’ll hear my follow-up conversation with Dr. Michelle May from Phoenix, Arizona that we promised to have in our first talk (which was episode 56—in case you haven’t had a chance to listen to that one yet, I highly recommend it to you). Michelle is a former physician, mindful eating speaker, and recovered yo-yo dieter who founded the “Am I Hungry?” company that offers “Mindful Eating” programs and trainings. “Am I Hungry?” empowers people to end chronic dieting and overeating, and to get back a fulfilling life without deprivation and guilt. (For example, relating to some of the topics we are talking about in this episode, there is a program called “Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Program for Bariatric Surgery” program). She is also the award-winning author of the book “Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat”. Based on the success people had with her first book, Dr. Michelle May wrote and published three more books: “Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Diabetes”, “Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Binge Eating” and “Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Students”. Her books, programs and retreats are all designed to help people increase self-awareness of beliefs, habits, thoughts, feelings and physical sensations, to finally understand why diets do not work, to discover simple yet powerful methods for knowing when, what, and how much to eat without restriction. Since finding her passion in helping people get out of their dieting traps, Michelle has retired from her medical practice to focus fully on sharing the mindful eating method. Along the way she has been featured on countless media outlets and publications, and her personal story is even featured in “Chicken Soup for the Dieter’s Soul”.
Today, you’ll hear Michelle talk about:
– The “Eat – Repent – Repeat”–cycle
– All the cases she hears where people tell her “Michelle, I love your idea to be able to love what we love and love what we eat, BUT I CAN’T, because … ”
– Why she is convinced that everybody is able and allowed to eat without fear
– What she wants people who are managing diabetes to know
– What the common misperceptions are about food when it comes to diabetes are (often perpetuated by uninformed health professionals)
– General myths about weight, food and eating in relation to diabetes
– Myths about food and eating in relation to “treat” binge eating
– How “mindful eating” could look like for people with diabetes
– What she tells people who deal with binge eating
– How “mindful eating” could look like for people who deal with binge eating
– What she advises to clients who had bariatric surgery
– How “mindful eating” could look like for people who had bariatric surgery
– Why abstinence or elimination eventually leads to reactionary eating…
… And so much more!
Check out Michelle’s website:
Here’s the link to Michelle’s books on Amazon:
Aaand if you want this sort of badassery come to your phone automatically, please DO subscribe on iTunes (Apple):
or on Stitcher (Android):
********* Don’t forget!*********
Make sure to join my tribe and meet some of the most supportive, loving and kind people of all shapes and sizes, including great coaches and leaders! We’re right over here at: