In today’s episode of the “Life. Unrestricted.” podcast, I talk to Aaron Flores from Calabasas, California. Aaron is a registered dietitian nutritionist who specializes in Intuitive Eating and Health At Every Size (HAES).
As he describes on his website, he promotes a non-diet, weight neutral approach to changing behaviors that lead to improved health. He says “If you feel like you’ve tried every diet, your weight has yo-yo’ed for years and you are ready to stop fighting your body and learn to love food again, then I am the dietitian for you.” I’ve had Aaron in my ears for a while now, because he is the man that hosts one of my favorite podcasts, namely Dietitians Unplugged, with the fabulous Glenys Oyston, whom I introduced you to in episode 12 of the “Life. Unrestricted.” podcast. So it is high time you meet the other half of that wonderful podcast. And you will! Listen to Aaron talk about:
– How he came up with his Star Wars analogy for Intuitive Eating and Health At Every Size versus diet-culture
– How he experienced his body as a boy
– How he and his family related to food
– Why he’ll never forget his first trip to the dietitian with his mother
– What the dietitian told him to do and why that set him up for the diet-binge-cycle
– How he judged his body as an adolescent
– How he ended up dieting for years and why he stopped
– How diets fail all people, and why people still think “they failed” at the diet
– What made him decide to become a registered dietitian
– What he thought of Intuitive Eating and Health At Every Size when we first heard it
– Why he clung to the idea of weight-loss for as long as he did
– How his transition into Intuitive Eating went for him
– How he is working on accepting his own body
– Why his transition into Intuitive Eating made him eventually leave his job and open his own practice
– What he has learned from his whole transformation
– What made see the logic behind a weight-neutral approach to health
– Why learning about Intuitive Eating and Health At Every Size is a lot like the movie “The Matrix”
– How he handles his own judgmental side towards people, diets and bodies
– Why he calls himself a feminist man and how he recognizes his privilege as a white male
– How he wants to raise his boys
– Why he is so grateful for his wife…
… And so much more!
Check out Aaron’s work, as well as the link to his podcast with Glenys Oyston here: http://www.bvmrd.com
********* Don’t forget!*********
Make sure to join my tribe and meet some of the most supportive, loving and kind people of all shapes and sizes, including great coaches and leaders!
We’re right over here at:
Podcasting is expensive, more so than I thought. So if you enjoy and love my podcast, please consider supporting it by becoming a “Patreon”!
It would greatly help me to keep those episodes coming to you.
Please: Do subscribe on iTunes (Apple):
or on Stitcher (Android):